7 Features You Can’t Afford to Miss in Mileage Reimbursement Software
February 10th, 2019 • Travel Management
In most companies, employees submit reports of the miles driven for business purposes to the finance team. The finance team verifies the claims and approves the mileage reimbursements. While this sounds pretty straightforward, there are a lot of things that can go sideways.
When it comes to mileage reimbursement, a lot of companies focus solely on creating and enforcing stringent policies. It’s equally important to focus on the processes used to keep track of mileage expenses and reimbursements. Manual processes involving hand-written logs or spreadsheets are not only rife with errors and inefficient but an invitation for fraud. Using dedicated mileage reimbursement software can eliminate the confusion and chaos that comes with traditional systems.
What is mileage reimbursement software?
Mileage reimbursement software helps business accurately keep track of the use of personal vehicles by employees for business purposes. It tracks the odometer readings and the distance covered, and calculates the exact amount to be reimbursed. Also, it connects with an expense management system to ensure that all mileage expenses are accounted for.
Things to look for in mileage reimbursement software
While every business is unique and has its own requirements and policies when it comes to mileage reimbursements, there are a few key functionalities all mileage reimbursement software should have.
The system should keep an accurate log of the trip and report the exact distance covered automatically. The ideal tool reduces the need for manual data entry. It should also support round trips and trips with multiple stops.
The system should accommodate your mileage expense policy and enforce it effectively. Whenever an expense that doesn’t comply with the guidelines is reported, the system should flag it immediately.
You should be able to set up different rates for different vehicles in addition to the standard rates from the IRS (58 cents a mile in 2019). Even though the excess amount becomes taxable, it makes sense to offer additional reimbursements in places where gas and travel expenses are high.
The very purpose of tracking mileage automatically is that data is available in real-time. It’s essential to have a mobile app which employees can use to track and submit mileage expenses when they are on the road.
A system that integrates with Google Maps API or other similar software can ensure that the distance reported is accurate. All you’d need to do is enter the departure point and the destination and the system calculates the exact distances between the two places.
Once reports are submitted and approved, the mileage expenses should be added to the expense management software and journal entries should be posted to the accounting software automatically. Having an integrated system of software applications eliminates data entry and manual errors.
It’s important to review mileage expenses once a while to improve your reimbursement process. Unchecked reimbursements can easily add up in a large workforce and can cause a dent on your budget. The system should give you key metrics and insights to cut back on unnecessary spending.
Benefits of using mileage reimbursement software
- Using a dedicated system to manage mileage expenses improves the accuracy and integrity of your data.
- It saves you time and money by automating the mileage tracking process. Typically, employees report their starting and final odometer readings after they complete a business trip.
- One of the important drawbacks of a manual system is that mileage readings can be easily inflated. This is the most common form of expense frauds, because it’s easy to exaggerate and falsify claims and it’s difficult to verify these claims without automation.
- With automated mileage tracking software, you will immediately gain more visibility and insight into mileage expenses, get a transparent reimbursement process, and avoid the additional costs due to mileage fraud.
Build custom mileage reimbursement software with Kissflow
Kissflow offers a mileage reimbursement tool that’s completely customizable based on your unique requirements. You can pre-fill fields with employee details and set up custom mileage rates. All your employees have to do is enter the trip details–the system automatically calculates the amount so your accounting department can reimburse employees with ease.
It can also be integrated with your expense management software and accounting software to automatically post journal entries. Also, you get key data-driven insights to minimize spending and avoid mileage frauds. Kissflow is free for fourteen days; take it for a spin and see how it can turn mileage reimbursements into a breeze.
Get Faster Mileage Reimbursements with
Automate Your Reimbursements Now.
- Why You Might Want to Try a Travel Expense Tracker
- Finance Process Flow: The Definitive Guide to Handle Finance Processes
- Travel Request Workflow: Step-by-Step Guide to Create Workflow in 15…
- Travel Approvals in 2019: It’s All About Process Automation
- Switching to a Cloud Financial Management Software? Read this.
- Streamlining Travel Expense Management Is the First Step to Successful…