The workplace is similar to a court, provided not as exciting. Your team has certain objectives and all of your efforts combine towards achieving them. At least that’s how it should be.
It goes without saying that goals and objectives are something everyone deals with. Whether it’s in the personal or professional sphere, goals provide a sense of direction and progress to everyone. You get a clear idea of what you want to achieve and what your current standing is.
Carefully selecting the right goals can set you up for success and the SMART framework is among the most popular ways to help you with that.
What are SMART objectives and how can they help me?
SMART is an acronym that defines the 5 essential characteristics of any goal or objective. Simply thinking about how you want to be the best at X or how you want to take your X to new heights will never work. Goals have to be clearer than that and give you a sense of direction.
Here are the 5 characteristics that make any goal smart.
- Specific: A well-defined statement that doesn’t have any ambiguity for anyone
- Measurable: Must have specific criteria to judge progress. If you want to be the best, state how you’ll know that when it happens
- Achievable: Nothing is impossible sounds awesome on a T-shirt. Actual life has several constraints and realities. Whatever goal you set must be attainable with the available time and resources
- Relevant: SMART objectives work only if the goal you are setting contributes to your wider business aims.
- Time-Bound: The goals must come with a timeline. Something open-ended may lead you to procrastinate and that won’t help anyone
From the outlook, you can easily see the role SMART objectives can play in keeping you productive. When you know what you are supposed to achieve and have a clear timeline in mind, you’ll be able to direct all your efforts towards it and sustain it for a long time.
The SMART objectives framework targets your mindset by organizing your efforts and giving you a sense of direction. It sets you and your team up for success from the very first day. Here are some top benefits of using SMART objectives:
- They enhance your productivity by motivating you and giving you a sense of direction
- They allow you to challenge yourself and grow
- They keep you focused on the most important targets
- They allow you to evaluate your strength and weaknesses for targeted improvements
- They can serve as an effective decision-making and prioritization tool